Wednesday 26 June 2013

Where has the line gone?

(I put all the verses in full at the bottom for anyone who chooses to read them)

When Jesus was here on the Earth, he drew a distinct line in the sand through the words that he spoke and the life that he lived out. To those who choose to follow him, he has made it known that there is no middle ground.  You are either with him or against him. (Matt. 12:30)

He also made it clear what was necessary to be with him (Matt 16:24)(Luke 9:23)
When we compromise the gospel or sugarcoat the message to make it more acceptable to others they aren't being shown where the line has been drawn. Also, when we compromise our beliefs in an attempt to fit into this world a little better, we trample back and forth over the line Jesus drew  in the sand. When we serve God on church days and the world every other day we blur the line. We have done this so often that the line that Jesus drew has become indistinguishable to the world and even to many Christians. As those who Jesus has left to continue his work until his return we need to hold the line and we need to make sure that the line is made known to the world. How will we know when the line is being drawn in our own lives? The world will treat us the way they treated Jesus. This includes being challenged in our faith not only by the world but also by those who we have called our friends and family. (Matthew 10:32-36) (Luke 21:17, John 15:18-19)
 
THE sweetest graces by a slight perversion may bear the bitterest fruit. The sun gives life, but sunstrokes are death. Charles Spurgeon

Let's get back to living out the life that Jesus called us to!

Mike

“Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me. (Matthew 12:30 NLT) 
 
Then Jesus said to his disciples,  “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. (Matthew 16:24 NLT)
 
Then he said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me". (Luke 9:23 NLT)
“Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.    But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven. “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. ‘I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. Your enemies will be right in your own household!’ (Matthew 10:32-36 NLT)

And everyone will hate you because you are my followers. (Luke 21:17 NLT)

“If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.    The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you. (John 15:18, 19 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment