Thursday 4 August 2011

The things that matter

We are blessed. There are those blessings that everyone can see. We have wonderful kids and a great marriage. Then there are those some can't see. We squeeze the 5 people and 5 pets into a 3 bedroom townhouse - and we are blessed. Our van is missing half a bumper, air conditioning and has a ghetto style vcr with a 6 inch screen - and we are blessed. Our income is at poverty line and we have $50,000 in school debt for educations that are not (yet?) used - and we are blessed. Our bbq is rusted to the point that one day it will fall over, we have a window a/c in one room, we live in the ghetto - and we are blessed.

You see, life has a funny way of tricking us. It tells us that it matters to have an education, a "good" job, the big pretty house on the right side of the tracks. We need two cars, vacations and gadgets. Gym memberships, the movie network, satellite radio.

I have realized it doesn't matter. The house, the car, the fancy degrees in the frames on my wall, and the tv don't matter. What matters is what we do with it and the relationships we form or break in the process. Are they a status symbol or a way to help others? What good is it all when it isn't helping others. What good is it if it isn't bringing glory to God?

Often I get questioned on my desire for these things. Don't I want "better" for our family? We work hard, don't we deserve a (insert item/trip here)? Will we have these things? Likely one day, but we also know it is not what life is about. I need to constantly remind myself throughout the years that these things are not what matters. The size of my house and the places I have sun-tanned do not change the world or my eternal destination. They are not what matters.

~Carly

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this post.... why because it is my life... we live below the poverty line... we have everything used pretty much... I shop with coupons... I homeschool my youngest daughter we don't have cable tv... we just have the internet and we are very happy... happy as a family... happy with what we have .... we really don't want for anything.... because God has been faithful to give us everything we need.

    I do not get new clothes.... rarely ever.. and if I do my kids go into shock... like mom you bought something for you... LOL I should say new to me clothes. We love giving and serving others and I have come to realize most of the time we are serving people who have more than us but just haven't seen that you can be content with what you have and really I am okay with that. God has a plan for them and who am I to say when it should all happen.

    Again I Loved loved loved your post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Carly! I love this post! I agree, money is not everything. It seems that in our society, the more you have, the more you spend anyways.

    ReplyDelete