Friday 15 July 2011

The Back Rub

One of my favourite things to do for Carly is to give her back rubs. Partially due to the fact that she has a mild case of scoliosis, I know that she is prone to getting a stiff back and shoulders. Beyond that fact I know that, as the mother of 3 young children and a wonderful wife to me, she has the weight of the world on her shoulders from time to time.

The daily stress of fulfilling the needs of our 3 kids alone could be enough to make any ones back hurt. Our kids have a lot of energy! Hurricane Evalynn makes her way through the playroom on a regular basis and spreads the debris to as far as the hallway and kitchen. Aden, bless his soul, must be busy at all times. Whether it is playing a game, wanting to do a craft or going to the park, he always seems to be 2 tasks ahead of the rest of us.  Andrew does seem to be the mellow one so far.  He does still need the constant attention that any 5 month old would though. He loves to eat and he loves to be held!

I would hope that I help Carly with the daily requirements that our children and our marriage need.  I do know that I have my ways of heaping the weight onto her as well. It could be being a grump after a long or challenging day at work. Perhaps my anxiety for any given reason has picked up and caused me to be distracted by other things.

I am glad that at the end of a long day she doesn't hesitate to hand me a bottle of lotion and lay down on the floor/bed/couch. As I rub her back or neck and I can feel the tension slowly melt away I know the weight is lifting. As I hear the gentle breathing grow deeper and louder I know that she is leaving the troubles of the day behind her. As I realize that she has fallen into a peaceful sleep I can sit and watch her and know that all is well.

Mike

1 comment: